Alisa M. Hoggatt concentrates her practice in estate planning and probate law, business planning and tax law. Her practice includes estate planning, providing estate administration and probate services to executors, trustees, heirs and beneficiaries in matters involving probate, estates, and trusts, general business matters, formation and financing of business ventures, entity choice and formation considerations for business entities, asset protection, and tax planning for businesses and their owners.
Ms. Hoggatt received her L.L.M. in Taxation in 2012 and her Juris Doctorate degree in 2008, both from the University of Houston Law Center. She received a Bachelor of Arts in Government from The University of Texas at Austin in 2005.
Prior to starting her own practice, Ms. Hoggatt was an associate at Rapp & Krock, PC, and prior to that The Shanks Law Firm, both in Houston, Texas. Ms. Hoggatt is a member of the Galveston County Bar Association, The Bay Area Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, and the Houston Attorneys in Tax and Probate. Ms. Hoggatt is admitted to practice before Texas State Courts, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, and the United States Tax Court.
- Represented individuals in their respective roles as trustees, administrators, and/or executors of trusts and estates.
- Counseled and represented individuals on matters involving their lifetime planning and planning for the disposition of their assets at death.
- Counseled clients regarding tax savings strategies through the establishment of Family Limited Partnerships.
- Represented individuals in establishing a gifting plan to help reduce estate tax liability and ensure an orderly succession of the family business.
- Represented individuals with real estate holdings outside the state of Texas by establishing revocable living trusts to hold those assets, so as to avoid probate in other states.
- Represented individuals with estates valued from several thousand to several million dollars in the preparation of appropriate estate planning documents.
- Represented couples in the preparation of estate planning documents which allow them to maximize the amount of assets they can ultimately transfer free of estate tax or that minimized estate taxes while retaining flexibility for the client.
- Represented individuals with children with special needs in establishing special needs trusts.
- Represented clients with the entity selection process and the drafting and negotiation of formation, governance and buy-sell documents.
- Drafted and reviewed contracts for various corporate clients, including employment agreements, lease agreements, and construction contracts.
- Assisted companies with succession transitioning of their ownership and operations of business to their children.
Pegi S. Block focuses her practice in probate, business and real estate law. Her practice includes providing estate administration and probate services to the Firm’s clients. Ms. Block also advises the Firm’s clients regarding general business and real estate matters and assists with the formation of corporate entities and the consummation of real estate transactions.
Ms. Block received her Juris Doctorate degree in 1983 from the University of Houston Law Center. She also received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, magna cum laude, from the University of Houston in 1980.
Prior to joining The Hoggatt Law Firm as Of Counsel, Ms. Block was an Assistant County Attorney in the General Counsel Practice Group for the Harris County Attorney’s Office. Ms. Block was also a former partner with the law firms of Block & Elmore; Henderson, Block & Elmore; Cruse, Scott, Henderson & Allen, all in Houston, Texas, and a private practitioner in Kingwood, Texas. Ms. Block is a mediator and Past President of the Northeast Harris County Bar Association and a current member of the State Bar of Texas and the Houston Bar Association. Ms. Block is admitted to practice before all Texas State Courts.
Meghna Patel focuses her practice in estate planning, probate and business law. Meghna received her Juris Doctorate degree in 2014 from South Texas College of Law. She also received her Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, along with a minor in Biology, Cum Laude, in 2007 and her MBA, Magna Cum Laude, in 2011, both from the University of Houston.
While attending law school, she was a legal intern for the Honorable Jacqueline Lucci Smith and the Honorable Theresa Chang. In law school, Meghna was also an Associate Editor for the Texas Journal of Business Law, along with the Corporate Counsel Review, where her article was published. She also completed the 40-hour mediation training.
Prior to joining The Hoggatt Law Firm, Ms. Patel was an associate at the Hegwood Law Group and Wong Fleming, both in the Houston area. Ms. Patel is a current member of the State Bar of Texas and is admitted to practice before all Texas State Courts.